Pages

06 February 2011

Lucky 3-Legged Pigs! Who knew?!



This has got to be one of the most darling little good luck charms I've ever seen! 

In the small village of Pomaire, Chile, it is believed that “chanchitos,” or little pigs, bring good luck. Three legged pigs are considered to be especially lucky and are traditionally given to friends as a token of goodwill and love.

These adorably cute ~ and lucky ~ 3 legged pigs measure about 1-1/2" tall and about 1-3/4" long.  Hand made of clay in Chile, each little piggie is formed, dried, then smoothed and burnished with an agate stone before being fired. No glaze or varnish is used, the only ingredient is lead free clay. This is a hand made item, so no two are exactly alike, and each one has it's own blemishes and shades of color.


I am completely  fascinated by different culture's good luck charms!  What a darling gift for a friend going on an interview or a student taking a test or trying out for the soccer team.  Of course I've ordered many, many little 3-legged pigs as we need all the luck we can get.


I'll keep you posted. And PLEASE ~ give me any suggestions you might have for other uniquely interesting  and meaningful items for Red Tulips.


(On a side note do you think the term "break a leg"
directly affected the 3-legged pig?! 
Same concept....I'm just sayin'.)





1 comment:

  1. How cute! I love pig things. Glad I stumbled upon your interview at Be One of a Kind :) I love your background!

    ReplyDelete